Post new topic   Reply to topic    Damage Incorporated Forum Index -> Game Guides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurorawind
Aurorawind
Hero

re: Farming gold via Garrison Missions

Posting per request

This guide outlines my process for farming gold via Garrison missions with a minimum of effort and administration.  I spend about 10 minutes, on average, in the morning and again in the evening running through 13 characters doing missions.  Each alt generates appx 30k+ gold per month via this process.

Setup

Garrison buildings

• Garrison: Level 3
  • Barracks: Level 3 (for 5 extra followers)
  • Inn: Level 3 (for treasure missions)
  • Salvage Yard: Level 3 (for "Big Crates of Salvage" from level 100 missions)
  • Trading Post: Level 1 (to convert excess resources to gold)

Add-ons

Followers

• All level 100/Epic/iLevel 675
  • 15+ (ideally 18-20) of them with the “Treasure Hunter” trait
  • Some with the Scavenger trait is desirable

Mission Priorities

1. Gold Missions with 3 followers
  2. Resource Missions that reward 900+ resources
  3. Gold Missions with 2 followers
  4. Resource Missions that reward 300+ resources
  5. Gold Missions with 1 Follower
  6. All character loot missions
  7. Resource missions with 1 follower

PROCESS

Followers

I recruit only for the “Treasure Hunter” trait and select the follower that has the attributes I need.  I aim to have at least 5 of each counter, but having 1 of the 9 counters with only 3 or 4 followers covering it is OK. 

Garrison Resources

I trade excess resources in at the Trading Post at a non-variable rate of 50 Garrison Resources for a “Smuggled Sack of Gold” that averages 15g per bag. 

Optional: Garrison Resources may be used to purchase Follower Trait Retraining items to help convert existing followers to "Treasure Hunters" quicker.  Garrison Resources may also be traded, at a variable rate, for gathering materials that can be auctioned, or used at the Ore/Herb/Leather/Cloth/Enchanting trader to convert to Primal Spirits for purchasing other materials that may be auctioned.

Missions

Master Plan will automatically suggest a follower composition, a rate of success, and expected rewards for the missions.  After the top priority missions are done (2 follower gold missions and higher) I’ll also grab other rewards I need like follower XP missions, follower equipment tokens, raid loot rewards, follower retraining certificates, etc, then I’ll grab the rest of the mission priority list.  I aim to take missions only in the 90%+ success rate and since missions remain for 36 hours, I can pass up some until my next mission cycle or two and grab it then.  This is semi-frequent for missions that fall lower on the priority list.

Character loot equipment typically vendors for 20g-80g each.  Garrison Resources convert at appx 30g per 100 Garrison Resources.  Follower retraining certificates allow me to revamp existing followers that don’t have the desired traits and ramp up gold production quicker.

Optional: You can take leftover level 100 missions that give no benefit to try and get more “Big Crate of Salvage” loot, but it is not a guaranteed result of successfully completing the mission.

Salvage Crates

The “Bag of Salvaged Goods” will give generic scrap and sometimes crafting materials, the “Big Crates of Salvage” will drop anything from green to purple items of all iLevels, from Vanilla to Warlords, as well as follower equipment tokens and crafting materials.  I will usually just vendor everything that comes out of these except items I need, like follower equipment tokens.

Optional: The loot will occasionally be a desirable item for Transmog, especially with people going to be “collecting” looks for the new Wardrobe feature in Legion, or rarely an iLevel 655 epic.  Those, and the crafting mats, may be auctioned.

Weekly Maintenance

Once a week, when I have time (usually on a Saturday), I will go through each character and do the following…

• Convert excess resources to gold at the Trading Post, I go down to 8000 resources remaining
    • Open all Salvage and sell them off
    • Use follower upgrade tokens to boost those that need it

I’ll also collect my Garrison Resources from my Garrison Cache 3x per week, usually M/W/Sa, to prevent them from capping.

Shipyard

I don’t use the shipyard for gold making.  The need to constantly spend resources to do missions for oil, and the frequent swapping of ship equipment at 500 resources (150g) per item for each ship, rapidly erases any monetary gains.

If you have any questions, or suggestions for updating this process, please let me know!

Allyriae
Hero

Excellent guide!  Thanks for posting this, Aurora!  This almost exactly mirrors my process, as well.  The only thing I've not done is upgrade my barracks, although that's a good idea (if only for extra piles of salvage crates generated by the remaining XP missions).

I also recommend Altaholic for this.  It won't help you make gold any faster, but it's fun to watch your collective statistics with all of your alts.

Garrisons are a gold mine if you can leverage an army of alts, and the numbers really add-up fast.  At first it seems totally overwhelming to max-out so many buildings and followers per garrison, but when you handle it on a toon-by-toon basis, it goes by pretty quickly (and we still have a lot of time left this expansion).

One last note about the time it takes, though.  It's true that it only takes 10-15 minutes per day to fly through all your alts using MasterPlan (which is indispensable for all of this).  However, every once in a while you'll want to dump your stacks of salvage crates scattered across all of your inventories.  When you do choose to do this, you may want to stagger this on different days for different alts.  Vendoring all your junk from several stacks of crates crates multiplied by numerous toons can take quite a while.  Time for a good audiobook or podcast when you choose to do these all at once!  It's all optional, of course, but you can make pretty good bank off just vendor trash (not to mention a cool transmog set for each class from the salvage).

This is what I do as well, across 11 characters, and I have about 3 million gold.  Although I have stopped with Salvage Yard stuff, it's just too much.  Just level 3 inn, and full treasure hunters.  Log in once a day on each alt and do gold missions.  You also don't really need the barracks, the 5 extra followers have never been a problem for my alts.

Allyriae
Hero

I had a facepalm moment when I finished upgrading all of my toons' barracks to level 3.  I was thinking I'd get the benefit of being able to choose your garrison guards, and totally spaced that you had to be exalted for those factions (which I take for granted on my main, of course).  So, there I was with my new level 3 barracks on all my alts and jack shit for reputations.  (Not a hard farm, I know, but not exactly worth it across all my alts just to have custom guards.  Nope.)

Well, on the upside, at least I'll have 25 followers each (after I finish recruiting them, of course).  It's really overkill, considering you only get 2-6 gold missions or so per day per toon, but on the other hand, it's nice having enough followers to be able to nearly wipe-out the mission list in one go each day.  Lots of salvage crates, anyway!

Oh also... wtf is up with the Horde barracks?  It's a stone hut.  Alliance gets a freaking two-story fortress.  (Same goes for most of the Horde garrison buildings.)  Go Alliance!

Hero

Yeah the salvage definitely takes time, that's why I just always do it on a weekend morning where I'm up early watching the boys.  Get it out of the way on everyone at the same time, obviously that doesn't work for everyone.

I've found the extra 5 followers from the barracks very useful on a routine basis.  When I'm doing all the gold missions, leveling up newly recruited followers, getting the character and follower equipment missions, and whatever else, I routinely run out of available followers.  Doing the twice/day rotation, I've had bumper crops of gold missions where I come in at a list refresh point and I'll get sometimes 10-12 per day (many are small 25-45 base reward.)  And if I'm looking to have my followers be all Night Elf, or whatever, having the extra followers lets me recruit when they pop up instead of just taking the attribute that would be useful.  It's easier to make room for them and not cripple myself.  So up to you, I routinely need it because I'm running all the missions for loot.

Glad people find it useful, good luck all!

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Damage Incorporated Forum Index -> Game Guides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: